Friday, February 19, 2010

The Sentinel Online : News : Religion : Thinking Christian: Observing Lent

The Sentinel Online : News : Religion : Thinking Christian: Observing Lent

Last year while having lunch with David I noticed for the first time the mark of the cross on people's heads as they returned from lunch. It made me very curious. You see, I came from a Baptist upbringing so the season of Lent was not observed. After learning what the ashes and cross was for I thought no more about it. This past Wednesday I noticed it again on the forehead of a pastor who had gone to a lunch service at a Methodist church. Later that evening I was talking with a friend who is Catholic and the subject came up. I mentioned how, to my knowledge, the Baptists do not observe Lent. After Wednesday I kept thinking about it and searched the web and came across this article that I thought I would share. While I attend a Baptist church I love the traditions of the liturgical churches and choose to observe some of those traditions on my own to give special time and recognition to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment